Aarakocra are avian humanoids that resemble large, upright vultures. They stand between just under five feet tall to a little over six feet. They noticeably hunch over, however, so if one were to stand fully upright they can end up towering over most humans. They have a bony chestplate, a large beak, and sharp talons. Their plumage varies greatly in color, from dark browns and blacks to gold or snowy white tones. Many different tribes can tell themselves apart from one another due to the color of their feathers. Aarakocra are generally kind and enjoy the freedom of the skies. In fact, many are claustrophobic and hate being in small enclosed places. They mostly make their homes in mountainous villages, though some do make homes in the cities of towns of Amar.
Aarakocra Racial Traits Edit
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Aaracokra's light builds make them quick and nimble, though they are not quite as strong or tough as humans. Aarakocra are also quite inquisitive and introspective.
- Humanoid: Aarakocra are humanoids.
- Aarakocra base land speed is 30 feet.
- Wing-Aided Movement: Aarakocra can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Aarakocra glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if an aarakocra's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. An aarakocra can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If an aarakocra becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The aarakocra descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
- Flight: When an aarakocra reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). An aarakocra can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Aarakocra can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Aarakocra are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because aarakocra can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, aarakocra have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. An aarakocra with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the aarakocra must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. An aarakocra can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. An aarakocra with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
- Bony Plates: An aarakocra has a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: An aarakocra can attack with its talons and its bite. An aarakocra's talons are its primary attack, dealing 1d3 damage each, while her bite attack is made as a secondary attack dealing 1d4 damage.
- Keen Senses: An aarakocra's keen sight gives it a +4 bonus on spot and search checks.
- Pact of the Windlords: Because of an ancient bargain Aarakocra made with powerful air elementals, aarakocran spellcasters cast spells with the air descriptor at +1 caster level.
- Claustrophobia: When squeezing through a space or being grappled an aarakocra is shaken. Being trapped in tight quarters for extended periods of time may also bring up their racial claustrophobia. This fear persists for 1d4 rounds after the aarakocra is free.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Aarakocra. Bonus Languages: Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Elven, Gnomish, Sylvan.